Wolf River KAL: A Cozy January Sweater Along
We are in the midst of holiday mayhem, perhaps stitching up gifts for our list of loved ones, or bustling to bake all our most nostalgic family recipes. Just take a moment and imagine the quiet of January, when you can sip some herbal tea and cozy up with some satisfying knitting for your number one. That's you! It's time to think about our January sweater knitalong! See all the KAL deets at the end of the post...
This year we've chosen something that's been on my to-knit list for a while--the Wolf River pullover by Melissa Schaschwary. Here's why I'm excited about knitting this sweater: it has the style of a classic aran sweater, but is made with a simple lace pattern--not cables--in an aran weight yarn. This means less bulk and a quick knit on size 9 needles. It's got classic style and looks to be the perfect sweater for fickle winter weather. Breathable enough to wear inside, but thick and warm under a coat.
We've picked a few aran weight yarns that would be perfect for Wolf River! Join us for the KAL and enjoy 15% off your sweater yarn! See deets at the end of this post.
So my last several sweaters have been shades of grey and I'm in LOVE with the neutral heather greys up above, but for my KAL yarn I'm going to get wild with this pop of yellow! Arranmore Finian from the Fibre Co is the vibrant color of sunflowers and calendula, with flecks of golden orange tweed. As a teenager I had a sweater this color and wearing it would just put a smile on my face. So here we go Finian!
Wait, what is even happening right now? Jaime has chosen this vibrant green for her sweater! Quince and Co Osprey in Parsley is the perfect happy color of spring leaves. Who are we and what are these colors? Two bright and happy sweaters are ready to be cast on in January!
What do you think? Will you make a subdued Wolf River or will you join us in bright sweater town? Here are the deets for our Wolf River KAL!
- Choose and purchase your yarn by January 10th and receive 15% off of any of our recommended yarn choices in store or on our website with the code "fancykal2017".
- Cast on! We will be casting on for our sweaters on January 10th. Local Denver folks can join us at Craft Night that evening from 6 - 9 pm for casting on together!
- Knit! We'll be knitting our sweaters together at Craft Night every Tuesday night for the duration of the KAL. If you're not local, or even if you are please join us on...
- Instagram! Use the hashtag #fancykal on your KAL pics so we can follow along with your progress virtually, and for a chance to win a prize for:
- Best In-Progress Photo - Gram your knittin' anytime during the KAL for a chance to receive a $25 Fancy Tiger Crafts gift card. You can share as many progress pics as you like. Photos with wolves and/or rivers will receive bonus points.
- Best Finished Sweater Photo - Gram your Wolf River sweater style by March 12th March 19th for a chance to receive a $50 Fancy Tiger Gift Card. Again, wolves will be extra credit! But don't endanger yourselves or the wolves.
- The winning pics and prizes will be announced and shared here on March 14th March 21st
- Finish! We plan to finish our sweaters by March 7th 14th. We will have a sweater celebration Craft Night with treats and libations. Bring your sweater to Craft Night on the 7th 14th for a high five, good times and a photoshoot so we can share your work here on the blog!